SCIC can help producers manage their predator attacks through control
measures designed to reduce the problem wildlife.
Recommended predator prevention management strategies:
• Fencing that is effective and specific to livestock/fowl operation
• Fence patrol
• Record keeping/monitoring of livestock or fowl on a daily basis
• Birthing area that is protected versus an exposed area or an area bordering prime wildlife habitat
• Properly trained guardian dogs
• Appropriate dead stock management (for example, dead stock should not be fed to guardian dogs)
• Use of llamas and donkeys as guardian animals
• Paddock/field size suited to the number of guardian animals
• Night confinement close to residence
• Noise, light and other deterrents
A combination of the above methods is often required.